Labels

Friday, November 27, 2015

First Therapy Session



November 24th, 2015: We went to our first therapy session with a nice lady named Marie. Marie is an adoptive parent of several special needs children. We chatted a bit while Fred was outside, talking about Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder. How it came about and a few of things I know about Fred's early babyhood. She asked about some of my concerns and I told her that because of Fred's lowered comprehension, impulsiveness and the fact that consequences have no impact on him I have great concerns for his future. That even with my child development foundation I was at a loss and I needed more parenting tools for my life bag.

Fred joined us and she chatted with him a bit about who she was and why were were here. She asked him if he had any issues he wanted to bring up and he said, "I am always mad at my mom because she won't give me my own way all the time." She got a good idea there about what goals we needed to work to accomplish.

The first thing she wants to work with him is anger management.

Secondly she gave me a book title to find and read. Here is the link: A House United: Changing Children's Hearts and Behaviors by Teaching Self Government

Here is the basic list of accomplishments from the book.:
1.) Follow Instructions
2.) Take "No" for an answer
3.) Accept Consequences
4.) Disagree Appropriately

Fred was given the "assignment" of writing a list of facts; things about him that were good & true, Marie led him through the first one. "I am a good person". I will write out the total list when it's finished.

One of Fred's consequences for his actions used to be to sit in a chair. We got away from that when we moved because most of the extra chairs were still in storage and it wasn't quite as convenient and I wasn't sure it had any real impact and I forgot about it and got out of the habit. Anyway, we are going back to sitting on a chair as a consequence. I will let you know how it goes.

We will see Marie every Tuesday for a while. I probably won't post every week about it exactly but I wanted to have a starting point for me to remember.

Thanks,
#fredsmom
#fasd
#preventfasd





No comments:

Post a Comment